Week 4 Post 1

For this post I have decided to critique jamilin.com and pennyjuice.com. Beginning with jamilin.com I have identified the following three potential problems for visitors. I used 3 different browsers to view these sites and chose issues that appeared on all three.
Jamilin.com
1: The framing of this site  makes it look like more of a static image then a functional site. It looks “cheap” or something from the late 1990's / GeoCities era.  I checked. It's not.
2: I am not exactly sure what this site is offering. I get the feeling that they want me to pay to talk to a physic or buy crystals. There is no clear product or idea conveyed.
3: The color scheme uses primary colors on top of earth tones. It is gaudy. I can not describe it any other way but a box of primary color crayons melted on a hotel sofa.

Pennyjuice.com
1:This website is almost as confusing as jamilin.com. I had to click thru several pages before I was able to figure out what exactly pennyjuice was selling. I am also still confused as to the marketing reason behind the name “childcare juice” but I guess there is an entire industry and pennyjuice is that industries leader.
2: The layout of pennyjuice is strange with images cropped at odd and sometimes disturbing angles. It not just throws the composition of the page off but creates an uneasy feeling.
3: The contact information on this site is all wrong. The phone number listed is a standard issue phone number, i.e. not toll free. They have a facebook page but no other social media is listed though there is a place for that. Email is  a free-mail account and not using the same domain name.

Both of these sites could be improved as follows.

1: Hire a designer. A commercial site should look and act like an extension of your company as it is the most public facing side of most companies. Get it done right even if it is just a page.
2: Get solid hosting that includes an email address with your domain extension.
3: Use social media and list your social media account accurately. If you must list a phone number then use a toll free number. Though for most people the toll charge is not existent it still gives a professional appearance which is odd because they are not only easy to get but often times rather cheap.


For example of sites done right I chose nps.gov and riversideartcenter.org. Both of these sites used muted colors with clean images and solid composition in their designs. I was rather impressed with The National Park Services as it is a government site and was ascetically pleasing. I felt like I clearly understood the products/services/info both sites. They were clean and concise. Information was clearly available and easy to find. I fully trusted both sites.

Comments

  1. Hi there, I agree with you with both websites being confusing to know what in the world they were selling. I definitely agree with jamilin needing a designer. It was a huge jumbled mess. I also think they shouldn't even post a normal if they don't have a toll free number. Just a link to email for contact if they aren't prepared yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, I am on the same page with you on the jamilin.com website design. What is going on there? I have done graphic design for 15 years and I know that kind of client that wants to cram all the information they can on every available square inch onto their marketing materials. One of the design rules is to simplify with open free space around graphics, type and logos. The eye actually automatically centers in on your message when there is clean space around that message. So while I do agree the designs could be better on the penny juice page, I do think they utilized the simplicity and free space around the type. I thought the penny juice was a lot easier to find out what they do, and I felt a bit more at rest on that page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I agree with your observation on the Penny Juice website, looks like it was designed by child. The page lacks composition and has images and contact information depicted incorrectly for the store front. When clicking on the link for Facebook page, I was puzzled why they incorporated content that really didn't promote the juice products or list nutritional content. Hiring a web designer would be excellent idea to showcase products to specific target market. Simplicity and balance, should be the focus for Penny Juice to stay competitive in their market.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, I say the same thing. Some websites need to get with the program and get out of the 90's. Unless they are promoting that type style. But nowadays everyone is online and if content is not clear within the first few minutes, a potential customer will leave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamilin.com made my eyes twitch. I actually wrote how poorly jamilin.com and Penny Juice. The designs lacked a clear message and design (especially Jami Lin). It's also a great idea for those companies to hire a professional web designer to improve them. I like your opinions, they relate a lot to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree completely with what you've stated above. It appears as if the websites haven't updated or modernized their sites. They're difficult to navigate and unappealing. There is nothing making me want to look into the site(s) and what they have to offer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts